Home Energy Hero

We Solve Comfort and Efficiency-You Can Measure

888.490.HERO (4376)

The Scariest Threat to Your Household

Halloween is right around the corner and ghosts, goblins, and witches are popping up everywhere. What's scarier than these creatures? The dangers that you cannot see, such as carbon monoxide. This odorless, colorless gas can be lethal if undetected. That's why it's crucial for you to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home.

This past Saturday, fifteen people in a Bethesda apartment complex were hospitalized due to carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a generator that was under repair. Even though there was a carbon monoxide detector in every unit, some residents said they did not hear the detectors go off until they were already exiting the building. With carbon monoxide, minutes matter.

What can you do to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning?

  1. Install a carbon monoxide (CO) detector in each room of your house. (Or at least one per floor.)

  2. Maintain your heating, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced at least once per year by a qualified technician. Twice a year maintenance is recommended.

  3. Don’t run your car in a closed garage. Always remember to open the garage door and allow the air to flow through.

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are dizziness, nausea, or feeling light-headed. If you think there might be a CO leak in your home, get out of the house immediately and call 9-1-1.

For more information about carbon monoxide poisoning, visit http://www.cdc.gov/.

Comments

nice

I apologize this is so long, yet I truly trust somebody can help somehow. I made some genuine confusions and have been languishing the outcomes over quite a while now. I truly require offer assistance.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.