We experience a lot of rain this time of year and that makes it difficult to maintain a comfortable humidity level in your basement. If you have high humidity in your basement, the chances are that you should be looking at your gutters and downspouts. This inspection is included in our home energy audit because it’s how you achieve optimal home comfort.
Here’s a short checklist of what to look for.
Achieve a Comfortable Humidity Level in the Basement
- Clean your gutters. Especially if you don’t have some sort of gutter guard because all of the leaves and blown debris will cause a blockage. A blocked gutter means that rainwater isn’t being directed properly.
- Consider purchasing gutter guards. Do your research on which product would be best for your budget and needs. Many of them still require that you get up on the roof to clean them regularly.
- Divert water at least 5 feet away from your foundation. The old-school downspouts are simply not enough. Get an extender so that the water is directed far away from your foundation.
- Ensure the ground around your foundation is slanted away from the house. Older plant beds tend to collect mulch that needs to be removed periodically. You want to make sure that rainwater will flow away from your home.
- When all else fails, get a dehumidifier. If you don’t see any issues with your gutters or downspouts, consider scheduling a home energy audit. We are home performance experts and can identify problems that you might not notice. A dehumidifier is a great way to remove the water from the air, however, it needs to be on 24/7 which does add to your energy bills.
You could also connect your gutters to a rain barrel and then use the rainwater to water your plants if you would like to really save on utilities. We’re all about health, durability, comfort, and efficiency. Taking care of your gutters and downspouts is an important part of taking care of your home. We’re happy to help you figure out how to maintain a comfortable humidity level in the basement.
During a home energy audit, we will point out concerns when we inspect the outside of your house. We look at more than the gutters and downspouts. We take a visual inspection of the roof to see if all shingles are in place, examine your windowsills, and of course, evaluate the air conditioning unit.
Right now you can save hundreds on a home energy audit and thousands on energy improvements by taking advantage of rebates in your area. Give us a call at 888-490-HERO (4376) to schedule your energy audit today!